More Model Tanks! I picked this little guy up on eBay. It is a Leopard 2 Scale Model made by Lee. I have never heard of this company before but the model looks good out of the box.
As you can see there are not a load of parts however the body of the hull is very detailed, to begin with.
I have now fitted the torsion bars and suspension to the hull of the tank. As you can see there is a lot of detail so far, a clean fit and not too much flashing on the parts.
Now I have seen someone building a Leopard 2 on YouTube and I believe theirs is an Italeri version, it, however, has this same huge joint line, which makes me think they are using the same moulds or maybe just a re-brand?
Fitted the gun barrel and also all the small parts to the turret, including the hatches and smoke grenade launchers.
After a quick undercoat, I could get on with the wheels. Using the plastic stencil tool, I painted the wheels Nato Green. I also gave the underside of the hull a light airbrushing with the same colour.
The tracks were primed then given a quick spray of aluminium X56 then I rubbed it off the trackpads before it dried. The tracks went on quite easily but what I noticed is the wheel are not level. Also, I stuck on the side skirts. These are really not well cast, but we try our best.
One thing I did suddenly notice is the fact I fitted the gun barrel upside down. So a little bit of wriggling and some superglue and the problem is solved.
That is the build pretty much done, so now on to the painting. I have given the model a coat of Gloss AV polyurethane varnish. A new product for me and the jury is still out. Anyways! Now that I have given it a quick varnish, I can now start masking off for the camouflage painting.
So I picked up some cheap white tack from Asda so I want to try using that to mask off parts of the tank for airbrushing.
I also need to cover the tracks and wheels before going crazy with the airbrush.
So I’m quite happy with how the camouflage has turned out, a little more practice is needed with the tack to get the right shapes but it seems to do the job. The only other problem was I over lightened the Nato green a little but I’m still learning, hopefully, I can darken it with a filter and washes.
So after the wash, the green is still a little light, so next time I will leave it a lot darker before airbrushing.
So the pigments have been applied, just want to go the main machine gun and I want to make some new aerials for the turret.
I’m going to call this one complete. Don’t think it looks too bad overall. I just need to practice the camouflage masking and not to put too much white into the colours before spraying. Check out the pictures below of the completed Lee Leopard 2 Tank In 1/35th Scale.